Driving is something we do everyday we commute to work, activities, for travel, and to get our families and ourselves from one location to another safely. What happens when you are traveling to your destination and CRASH.. You get into an accident! This is most often in the back of our minds but we hope that it will never happen but, when it does do you know what to do? We are going to discuss what actions you should take after an accident so you feel at ease in handling this unfortunate event.
- Make sure you are in a safe location before attempting to collect information, your safety is the number one priority!
- Stop! Never leave the scene of an accident no matter how minor it may seem, exchange information with all involved, taking pictures is best (phone number, insurance, drivers license, license plate.) Also be sure to collect any information of passengers and or witnesses. If the police are already at the scene please don’t interfere with their investigation.
- Take pictures of the scene if safe to do so. Do not say anything unless it’s for the police or insurance, be polite but don’t admit fault even if you think it was.
- Call the police if they aren’t already there, as you may need to file an insurance claim, leave vehicles where they are unless they are impeding traffic.
- Be as accurate with details as possible, tell the officers exactly what happened to the best of your ability, if you don’t remember don’t speculate or guess just tell them you’re not sure.
- If you are asked if you’re injured it’s best to say you’re not sure, because of the accident many times pain doesn’t come until later. Be safe and have yourself looked at by a healthcare professional, your health and safety is very important!
- Report the accident with your insurance company as soon as possible.